Mrs Brown's Boys star Gary Hollywood drops pay row lawsuit against creator Brendan O'Carroll - Mrs Brown's Boys

Post Top Ad

Saturday, June 5, 2021

Mrs Brown's Boys star Gary Hollywood drops pay row lawsuit against creator Brendan O'Carroll

 In papers lodged with an employment tribunal last January, Scottish actor Hollywood said he was paid 25% less than his colleagues for his role


Gary Hollywood in Mrs Brown's Boys


Ex-Mrs Brown’s Boys star Gary Hollywood has dramatically dropped his pay row lawsuit against sitcom creator Brendan O’Carroll, The Star can exclusively reveal.

Hollywood, who played hairdresser Dino Doyle, launched legal action earlier this year against O’Carroll, the BBC and TV production company Hungry Bear Media Limited.

He had cited discrimination and unfair dismissal.

However he dramatically withdrew all claims on Wednesday during a preliminary hearing.

And when contacted by The Star , a representative for Mr O’Carroll said he would not be making any comment in relation to it.

In papers lodged with an employment tribunal last January, Scottish actor Hollywood said he was paid 25% less than his colleagues for his role in last year’s six-part chat show spin-off, All Round to Mrs Brown’s.

And he claimed he was dropped from one of the two Christmas specials just days before filming started.

Hollywood said when he raised both issues with O’Carroll, 65, he was told that he should be ‘more grateful’.

The Dublin writer, producer, comedian, actor, and director is best known for playing Agnes Brown on Mrs Brown’s Boys.

He faced accusations of constructive dismissal and workplace discrimination after the row over pay with Hollywood.

And in earlier interviews in relation to the legal action he was taking, Hollywood said: “I feel I wasn’t being paid equally.

L-R: Damien McKiernan, Gary Hollywood (Image: Photographer: Alan Peebles)


“And I wasn’t being given an explanation for decisions.

“When I tried to resolve it, nothing was done. I was just disregarded. But I won’t put up with it any more.

“I won’t be ­treated like that. This has gone too far.

“They shouldn’t do this to people,” he added.

“I am taking legal action. The papers have been lodged for a tribunal and the process has now started.”

But, on Wednesday, Hollywood dramatically withdrew his claims of unfair dismissal, discrimination and arrears in pay during a preliminary Employments Tribunal hearing in the UK by video link.

In the judgement, seen by The Star , during the hearing, Hollywood said that he believed that he had been induced to enter a contract, under which he agreed to receive a lower fee than his colleagues, because of a misrepresentation.

However, the Employment Tribunal ruled that “this is not a type of claim in respect of which the tribunal has jurisdiction.

“And therefore no dismissal order can be made”.

A representative for Mr O’Carroll told The Star that the Dubliner would not be making any comments in relation to the withdrawal of the claims.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Bottom Ad